Lufthansa Tech Makes ‘nice’ Nicer
Lufthansa Technik of Germany presented its new “Innovation Corner” at NBAA 2011 in Las Vegas, featuring prominently its next-generation “Nice HD” cabin management and in-flight entertainment system.
According to the German MRO, completion and refurbishment specialist, the open architecture of Nice HD is “highly configurable and flexible, allowing Lufthansa Technik to offer a wide number of cabin equipment packages.”
“Customers can experience innovative ways to control cabin communications and entertainment functions with our third-generation user interface,” said director of the innovation business unit Andrew Muirhead.
The system incorporates an animated graphical user interface (GUI) with an integrated scroll wheel and touchscreen.” The scroll wheel allows the passenger, using a thumb or finger, to simply roll a small barrel, which corresponds to the animated GUI. Once the selection is chosen, the user can simply push to select the function.
Rounding out the user interface, the system also offers Nice wireless remote for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. The app is available for download from the Apple App Store.
One of the more important additions to the original Nice system is a Hollywood-approved encryption/decryption package that allows streaming of high-definition video to each seat location without breaking digital rights management protection requirements.
Other new upgrades include:
- Consolidation of numerous Nice system components into fewer, smaller and lighter LRUs with more functionality.
- Increased network bandwidth and capacity with gigabit Ethernet to each seat.
- Continually improved reliability with accelerated-life and -screen testing in development and production.
- Remote system access for maintenance and product support.
- Development of a stand-alone wireless in-flight entertainment system with content service.
A 24/7 customer care call and technical support center is available for all Innovation products and systems. Customer phone calls are routed directly to the Innovation business unit’s support center, and secured data exchange is available for technical and maintenance support.