Regionals Update: Horizon to go all turboprop

Aviation International News » June 2008
June 9, 2008, 7:17 AM

Horizon Airlines will shed its 20 Bombardier CRJ700s as part of a strategy to transition to a uniform fleet of between 48 and 53 Bombardier Q400 turboprops, Horizon CEO Jeff Pinneo told attendees at last month’s RAA convention in Indianapolis. Now flying 65 airplanes, including twelve 37-seat Q200s scheduled for complete withdrawal as the airline takes delivery of 15 more Q400s by August next year, the company plans to dispose of the CRJ700s over the next 18 to 24 months, depending on the speed of its remarketing efforts. Pinneo reported that the new Q400s would serve many of the routes now flown by CRJ700s into California, where it competes directly with Southwest Airlines Boeing 737s. He also said that if Bombardier commits to a larger Q Series turboprop, “we would certainly be involved in that dialogue with them.”

Share this...

Please Register

In order to leave comments you will now need to be a registered user. This change in policy is to protect our site from an increased number of spam comments. Additionally, in the near future you will be able to better manage your AIN subscriptions via this registration system. If you already have an account, click here to log in. Otherwise, click here to register.

 
X