EADS And BAE Surprise Market With Merger Plan

AINonline
EADS and BAE already cooperate in the Eurofighter Typhoon program but their planned merger would create a European defense group to rival their main U.S. competitor Boeing.
September 12, 2012, 4:25 PM

BAE surprised stock markets on September 12 with sudden announcement of a planned merger with its fellow European aerospace and defense group EADS, which confirmed a few hours later that the deal is being discussed. Under UK stock market rules, the merger would have to be agreed or abandoned by close-of-business on October 10. It would see EADS emerge as the senior partner with its shareholders holding 60 percent in the combined company and BAE accounting for the remaining 40 percent.

However, financial analysts have been quick to raise doubts as to whether European anti-trust regulators will permit the merger. EADS leadership clearly sees the move as a chance to boost its presence in the key U.S. defense market, in which UK-based BAE has made more significant in-roads. It could also dilute the political influence of the French and German governments, each of which holds a 22.5 percent stake in EADS. The British government retains a stake in BAE giving it veto rights over major strategic moves. The merger would have far greater significance on the defense side of the two groups’ businesses since BAE has completely withdrawn from the civil aerospace sector, leaving EADS with complete control of airframer Airbus.

 

FILED UNDER: 
Share this...

Please Register

In order to leave comments you will now need to be a registered user. This change in policy is to protect our site from an increased number of spam comments. Additionally, in the near future you will be able to better manage your AIN subscriptions via this registration system. If you already have an account, click here to log in. Otherwise, click here to register.

 
X